Wednesday, November 22, 2006

"This isn't really going to be your last show, is it?"

"The Company"

One of my favourite directors, Robert Altman (1925 - 2006) dies of complications from cancer, today. He was 5 times nominated for the Oscar Best Director, and was given a Lifetime Achievement Award March this year.

I like "A Prairie Home Companion", I like "The Player", I like "Gosford Park"...and I especially love "The Company". It is about the world of dance. A life in ballet is very demanding - the practices, the exams, the rehearsals, the performances - everything is challenging, exhausting... and, painful. Altman revealed these slices and tastes of life through the ups and downs of the ballerinas in the film. And he showed his skills in mastering a large group of professional performers which he managed to make everyone shine within the 120 mins. The film is really beautiful with the 10 ballets shot. And Neve Campbell, who acted as the prima ballerina-to-be in the film, are alluring and enchanting under Altman's camera. This is so far the best ballet film (drama) I would say.

From the reports, got this quote of Altman,

"The business is run by accountants who, as long as a film makes $40bn, don't care if it kills the industry. Everything can also be shown so quickly in the home - which means that the people who go to movie theaters are teenagers who just want to get away from home. The audience has changed and the content has changed to suit that audience. But, even if I'll be an outdated item very shortly, I intend to carry on as long as I can."

Thanks Altlman, for making all those great films.


"Every show is your last show. That's my philosophy."

(Garrison Keillor in "A Prairie Home Companion")

2 Comments:

Blogger mad dog said...

你竟然找到這張相片!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Ruth Tam said...

Really love that movie "The Company".

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home